Concerns about a school or service

If you are raising a concern about the safety or wellbeing of a child, please contact police or social work, who will investigate the concern.

Who do I contact if I have a complaint about a teacher or school?

Education Scotland does not have a remit to investigate complaints against teachers or schools. In the first instance, you should contact the school and local authority with your concerns so that they are fully aware of the information.

The local authority’s education department has responsibility for ensuring that any concerns about schools in its area are dealt with appropriately.

You can find contact information for Scotland's 32 local authorities on the COSLA website.

If you are not satisfied with the responses from the local authority and you feel your concerns have not been addressed to your satisfaction, you have the right to contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO), who handle complaints about public services in Scotland.

The SPSO will consider complaints which have been through the formal complaints procedure of your local authority.

Contact details for the SPSO are as follows: