How to use this learning and assessment resource to improve practice?
The learning resources aim to generate discussion around a number of reflective questions including:
- To what extent do I work with a range of partners to design and deliver an appropriate, personalised curriculum that takes account of the individual needs of children and young people and genuinely equips them for learning life and work in all settings?
- To what extent do I engage children and young people in meaningful discussions about their skills development and assist them in profiling to support their career journeys?
- To what extent do I relate relevant learning experiences and skills development to labour market and employment opportunities including entrepreneurship and self-employment?
- To what extent do I facilitate young people’s learning and their ability to engage with a rapidly developing landscape of work/career and learning opportunities?
PDF file: Learning Resource 1 - Introduction to Career Education Standard (936 KB)
PowerPoint file: Learning Resource 1 - Introduction to Career Education Standard (4.14 MB)
PDF file: Learning Resource 2 - Introduction to Labour Market Information (473 KB)
PowerPoint file: Learning Resource 2 - Introduction to Labour Market Information - stimulus (2.7 MB)
PDF file: Learning Resource 3: Introduction to Career Management Skills (614 KB)
PDF file: Learning Resource 4: Introduction to My World of Work
PDF file: Learning Resource 5: Introduction to Creativity Skills
Word file: Career Education Standard and the self- evaluation and reflection – Appendix 1 CES Learning Resource (2.4 MB)
PDF file: Learning resource 6: Profiling skills and achievements in the context of DYW/career education
Explore these resources
As a result of engaging with the learning resources you will have:
- an understanding of the purpose and aim of the Career Education Standard (3-18) (CES);
- an understanding of the part you are expected to play, along with partners, in the implementation of the CES;
- an understanding of the entitlements for children and young people;
- developed, through self-evaluation, your understanding of the CES expectations in relation to your current practice;
- explored key themes relevant to career education such as Labour Market Information, Career Management Skills etc.
- identified the relevancy for your area of work and how this supports the implementation of the CES
- a plan to take forward manageable changes to your practice
Learning Resource 1: Introduction to the Career Education Standard (3-18)
This resource introduces you to the standard, its context, purpose and expectations in a logical and manageable format. The materials include a self-evaluation tool and contain references to
How good is our school? (4th Edition). Engaging with this professional learning resource will help you build on your existing practice. It provides the basis on which all other resources are built.
Learning Resource 1:
Introduction to the Career Education Standard + the
Learning Resource 2: Introduction to Labour Market information
This resource offers introductory level learning on labour market information and how it can be accessed and used in the wider context of career education.
Learning Resource 2:
Introduction to Labour Market Information +
Introduction to Labour Market Information – stimulus
Learning Resource 3: Introduction to Career Management Skills
This resource outlines the context of career management skills in education and its relevance for learners as they develop their career pathways from early years to senior phase and beyond.
Learning Resource 3:
Introduction to Career Management Skills.
Learning Resource 4: Introduction to My World of Work
This resource gives practitioners an introduction to Skills Development Scotland’s careers web service - My World of Work. It can be used to help learners to make informed choices about their future careers.
Learning Resource 4:
Introduction to My World or Work.
Learning Resource 5: Introduction to Creativity Skills
This resource allows practitioners to make the connection between creativity as cross-cutting theme of CfE and its importance in the context of employability and the world of work.
Learning Resource 5:
Introduction to Creativity Skills.
Career Education Standard and the self-evaluation and reflection – Appendix 1 CES Learning Resource