About the COP26 Summit
In November 2021, the United Nations COP26 Climate Summit will be taking place in Glasgow, Scotland. This will be one of the biggest events of its kind ever to be hosted in our country with 200 world leaders expected to attend. There is hope that the event will result in a truly historic agreement to limit greenhouse gas emissions and tackle the climate emergency.
The Scottish Government has identified People and Just Transitions as key themes for the COP26 Summit and has declared that it wants it to be the most inclusive COP summit ever to be held. This includes a strong focus on young people and on engaging disadvantaged and hard-to-reach communities.
Within Scotland’s curriculum, Learning for Sustainability (LfS) is recognised as an entitlement for all learners and a recent international study showed that our learners are world-leading global citizens. The COP26 Summit provides us with a unique opportunity to further embed Learning for Sustainability and climate justice education in the curriculum.
1. Visit Education Scotland’s Learning for Sustainability blog for the latest news and updates.
2. Check out our COP26 Wakelet for a list of curated resources and activities.
3. Connect with like-minded practitioners to share resources and network via our LfS practitioner Network (Glow login required) in MS Teams in Glow.
4. Register your interest in the following two LfS Massive Open Online Professional Learning Courses being run by the University of Edinburgh, British Council and Learning for Sustainability Scotland.
5. Email us at: email@example.com if you are a partner organisation preparing for COP26 and would like to be invited to our COP26 Partner Forum.
Check out our Countdown to COP26 poster to find out more about the learning resources being produced to support the key COP26 themes:
Countdown to COP – Early years through Dugs Discovery Den
Countdown to COP - Primary
Countdown to COP - BGE
Countdown to COP challenge – Finance
Discover the environmental and social impact of denim, and then transform an old pair of jeans into something new and original.
Countdown to COP challenge – Adaptation and Resilience
Learn about the foods produced in your area and create an original, sustainable meal from local ingredients.
28 – 30 September 2021 - UN Youth COP26 Summit, Milan, Italy
11 – 24 October 2021 - United Nations Summit on Biodiversity (COP15) in Kunming, China
01 – 12 November 2021 - UN Climate Summit (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland
01 November 2021 - 10th anniversary of One Planet Schools Working Group being established