How to use this exemplar to improve practice
Watch this example of practice exemplifying how improvisation helped Woodhead Primary learners develop their creativity skills. Then, consider the reflective questions below:
- How do you make learning about key historical events engaging and relevant to your learners?
- How do you assess the impact that using improvisation has on children's learning?
- Are learners able to talk about the skills they are using and see how they can be transferred to other contexts?
- How can you use improvisation to enrich the curriculum on an ongoing basis?
- Where can you find time to discuss with colleagues the benefits of using improvisation?
- How do you use the assistance of local community helpers to extend learning?
Explore this exemplar
What was done?
The film demonstrates how Woodhead Primary School in Hamilton worked with a community volunteer to explore World War II through improvisation. Young people learned about the personal experiences of the visiting volunteer and improvised a range of World War II scenarios through drama.