How to use this exemplar to improve practice
Comments from staff include:
'Participating in LIFT I have learned to allow more time for pauses and quiet time to allow the child and myself time to reflect and think about what we are doing.'
'LIFT has increased my knowledge of adult child interactions, increased my confidence interacting with children, it has made me think before I speak and think about different ages and stages of children and what interactions are most beneficial.'
'LIFT has given me a brilliant understanding of how to develop language through play situations. It is beneficial having time out to have conversations with colleagues about different examples of interactions.'
- Are staff sufficiently skilled to identify children with speech, language and communication needs?
- Would staff benefit from better knowledge of language building strategies?
- Is there more you could do to support parent's engagement in their child's learning?
What was done?
LIFT was designed to ensure:
- Earlier identification of children with speech, language and communication needs
- Increased parental engagement, knowledge and empowerment to be the best they can be
- A skilled universal workforce who can deliver the best outcomes for children and families
- Environments that are accessible and language enriching for all learners.
To help strengthen the skills of the workforce, both formal and informal training was provided. Formal training focused, for example, on reviewing language development and connecting with parents and informal training focused, for example, on peer support and coaching.
Why was it done?
There is a clear link between language abilities in early years and literacy attainment in later years. However, over 60% of children entering primary one in 10 Clackmannanshire schools in 2017 had language difficulties.
What was the impact?
- The frequency of language building strategies used by early years workers rose from 57% to 88%
- The percentage of children with language skills expected for their age increased by 24%
- 84% of parents took a key message home following attendance at a workshop at one of the LIFT nurseries
- Increased in parental engagement and empowerment. 84% of parents took a key message home following attendance at a workshop at one of the LIFT nurseries, including:
- 'I will spend more time playing and talking with my child instead of on my phone'
- 'I will make more time to sit and do activities together'
- 'I will let my child lead more and refrain from suggesting my ideas during play'