How to use this exemplar to improve practice
This video along with reflective questions invites you to consider the impact of your own approach using digital technology to support learners with additional needs. Watch the video and consider, individually or as a team, the following improvement questions:
- When considering the use of digital technology, do you focus first on the technology or do you consider what your needs are and how the technology will support and enhance?
- What technologies are available to support learners with additional support needs?
- How do you use digital techology to ensure that learners with additional needs are supported to improve their communication and their skills development?
- How do you enhance your own knowledge of digital software/apps etc. to support learners to improve their skills?
- What public domain or open-source (free) resources are available to support improvement for learners with additional needs?
Explore this exemplar:
What was done?
Staff and learners at Isabel Mair school discussed their use of iPads, interactive whiteboards, iPod Touch and other digital devices to support enhancement and improvement in learning.
Can't view this video? You can also view this clip on Glow (log-in required).
Why it was done?
The headteacher and staff understood the importance of enhancing learning and teaching through the use of high quality digital resources. They wanted to give learners a chance to participate in learning in new and exciting contexts.
What was the impact?
The use of technology is enabling youngsters to communicate in a way that best matches their own particular needs and learning styles. For example, if a speech impediment presents a barrier to communication and learning, the use of high quality technology is enabling young people to communicate effectively and access the curriculum in a more creative way.