How to use this exemplar to improve practice
The exemplar can be used to help schools and local authorities develop a leadership strategy that will use the skills of existing practitioners and ensure that staff are enabled to take on leadership roles and are supported and challenged to do so.
- How effectively do we create a learning culture within our school? (HGIOS4 1.2)
- To what extent are all staff involved in leading learning across and beyond our school? (HGIOS4 1.2)
What was done?
The Leading and Learning Together (Aspiring Leaders) training programme involved the following components:
- sustainable training and mentoring support for teachers at all levels
- Learning Sets (ie collegiate working) for those aspiring to promoted posts
- assessment centres
- leadership professional learning for current headteachers delivered by Drummond International.
This programme encourages headteachers to step back and take time to reflect on what might help them/is stopping them closing the gap in their own establishment. They are also encouraged to look after their own and their staff's wellbeing around workload and work/life balance.
High quality leadership in schools and across the local authority is vital to ensure the highest quality of learning experiences and positive outcomes for children and young people.
What was the impact?
Improved culture of professional learning and enquiry.