How to use this exemplar to improve practice
This video along with reflective questions invite you to consider the impact of your own approach to planning learning. You are invited to watch the video and consider, individually or as a team, the following improvement questions:
- How important is it to map out those issues in the local community that impact on health and wellbeing and how these may change over a period of time?
- How does the school ensure that the different mechanisms it uses to collect information support a dialogue around health and wellbeing?
- Is there one particular approach to supporting health and wellbeing that is being promoted?
- What is the key element that appears to support improved achievement?
- How do school structures support the different approaches that are illustrated?
Explore this exemplar:
Can't view this video? You can also view this clip in Glow (log-in required).
What was done?
The film demonstrates the strategies that Auchinleck Academy adopted to monitor and support health and wellbeing in the school. It describes the use of a personal planner by pupils and the important role that discussion and dialogue play in the process. It illustrates the importance of target setting and reviewing and the impact this has on achievement. Learners describe the impact of peer mentoring. The impact of participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme is shown.
What brought about the change?
Taking due note of some of the challenging economic circumstances faced in its local community, the school wanted to ensure that learners developed resilience in the face of these, as well as supporting and promoting effective skills that allowed them to contribute to both the school and the wider community.
What was the impact?
Self-evaluation is important for learners because it helps them to have ownership of their learniExplore this exemplar:ng and progress and to take responsibility for future learning. It also helps to build their confidence and to give them a sense of achievement when they look back for example at the targets that they set at the start of the year and how much progress they have made. The improved motivation and sense of achievement from this is obvious.