About this research
How was the research carried out?
This document summarises the education outcomes of Scotland's looked after children. It links information from:
- the Looked After Children statistics 2016/17
- Pupil Census records 2017
- School Leaver Initial and Follow-up Destination data, October 2017 and March 2018
- Attainment data throughout school education
- Achievement of Curriculum for Excellence (CfE) Levels, 2016/17
What are the strengths of the research methodology?
This report is based on Scottish Government statistics.
What is the context for this research?
Previous reports on the educational attainment of looked after children and young people has demonstrated a significant gap in attainment between that of looked after school leavers and all school leavers. This latest report detailing statistics from 2016/17 shows that the attainment of looked after children and young people is improving but a significant gap remains.
- Do school staff know which children and young people are looked after at home or away from home?
- Have all looked after children been assessed to consider whether they have additional support needs?
- Is data collected to allow tracking of this cohort of learners?
- Is there effective planning, tracking and monitoring of the progress of looked after learners to ensure equity?
- Transition points are key for all children but particularly important for looked after learners. How effective are our transition arrangements in raising the attainment of looked after learners?
- For guidance on improving the outcomes for looked after children and young people see the Hub page ‘Looked after and Learning: Improving the learning journey of looked after children’.
About the author(s)
This research was not commissioned by Education Scotland and the findings, recommendations and conclusions do not necessarily reflect the views of Education Scotland.
Scottish Government (2018) Education Outcomes for Scotland’s Looked After Children 2016/17
Link(s) to full research article
Scottish Government publication: Education outcomes for looked after children: 2016 to 2017.