For children at nursery and P1
- Talk with your child about being a baby, a toddler and young child. Perhaps use photographs of them and yourself to help recognise the changes they have gone through.
- Use photographs as prompts to start a conversation with your child about starting nursery or school. What can they remember about these events?
- Talk with them about how they and you felt, and about some of the things they enjoyed.
For children at P2/P3/P4
- Every year children move to a new stage of school. Ask your child to tell you about some of the things that they think might be different in a new class.
- Can your child now tell you what things might be the same? Ask them how they feel about the changes and help them to understand why change is part of growing up.
- Can your child make up a small drama/act about what happens when children start in a new class.
For children at P5/P6/P7
- Ask your child to tell you what they think the main stages of transition are throughout life. Start with home into nursery. Help them to understand how all these stages help us to grow up.
- Can your child choose a stage of change/ transition and write some details about what the main changes will be? Talk to them about how the changes might make people feel.
- Ask your child to list the main things they think will change when they next have a transition, maybe to high school. Talk about any concerns they may have. How/where might they find help to get them through these changes?