Support for parents and families who use British Sign Language (BSL)
Because of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), all of our daily lives have now changed. There is a lot of information about Covid-19 but it is difficult to find and know what is helpful for you and your family.
The information on this page will help you support your child's learning at home and your family. Information on Parentzone Scotland will continue to be reviewed and updated, so please revisit the website.
There are many learning websites which can help you to support your child's learning at home. Some of them are at the bottom of this page. Every child is different so you should also contact your child's own school for their individual learning plans.
Learning at home is different to learning at school. Parents are not expected to be teachers but they can still support their child's learning.
Free and inclusive website links with lots of ideas for learning:
- Learning at home
- Autism Toolbox
- Addressing Dyslexia Toolkit
- Practical information for Learning at Home during lock down - video on Facebook
Children are online more during Covid-19. Find information on how to keep your child safe online (YouTube video).
Other useful information links are:
- Guidance about key workers and vulnerable children
- Teach and tips in BSL for writing CVs
- Job interview skills in BSL
- British Sign Language Glossary of curriculum terms
- National Deaf Children’s Society – Support for families
- British Deaf Association
- NHS Inform
- Sign Health
- Young Minds
- Supporting your teens during lockdown
- COVID-19 things you can do to help clear your head
- BSL videos on Scottish Government’s YouTube channel