Getting It Right For Every Child
Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) is the national approach to improving the wellbeing of children and young people.
Through policy and the delivery of services at both national and local level, the GIRFEC approach:
- puts the best interests of the child at the heart of decision making
- takes a holistic approach to the wellbeing of a child
- works with children, young people and their families on ways to improve wellbeing
- advocates preventative work and early intervention to support children, young people and their families
- believes professionals must work together in the best interests of the child
The Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014 (the Act) supported GIRFEC implementation, but some provisions of the Act relating to the named person service and information sharing were challenged in the Supreme Court in 2017. The Scottish Government decided in 2019 that the best way to promote and embed GIRFEC further was on a policy basis, in partnership with local delivery partners, through practical help, guidance and support.
The Scottish Government therefore committed to developing new policy and practice guidance to provide confidence, clarity and practical support to deliver GIRFEC, underpinned by necessary, relevant and proportionate information sharing.