Explore this resource
The following links will allow teachers and practitioners to access key information, resources and policies in order to support professional development and the implementation of using food as a context for learning. They will also provide inspiration and connections around interesting practice currently emerging across Scotland in this area.
Key documents and policy drivers
- Food in Schools across Scotland - A digital framework for everyone involved in food provision and food as a context for learning in schools across Scotland. It requires education and catering staff to work together using relevant, high quality evidence to evaluate what is working well and identify areas in need of improvement.
- Better Eating, Better Learning - guidance to support driving positive improvement in food education and school food provision
- Good Food Nation - Scotland’s aspiration that people from every walk of life take pride and pleasure in, and benefit from, the food they produce, buy, serve, and eat each day
- Setting the Table - A nutrition guide for Early Years establishments
- Healthy Eating in Schools 2020 - A guide to implementing the Nutritional Requirements for Food and Drink in Schools (Scotland) Regulations 2020
- Health Promotion and Nutrition Act (2007) - guidance in relation to fulfilling the health promotion duty of the Act
- Nutritional Analysis Manual - guidance for schools and local authorities on how to adopt a consistent approach to nutritionally analyse school lunch menus in order to demonstrate compliance with statutory nutrient standards
- Free School Meals - information in relation to access and entitlement to free school meals
- Revised Dietary Goals for Scotland - guidance setting out nutrition goals for Scotland
- Beyond the School Gate - guidance for local authorities, schools, retailers, caterers and other partners on what they can do to influence the food environment around schools and support children and young people to make healthier choices
- How School Food Delivers on a Range of Policies
Learning, teaching and assessment resources
- Experiences and outcomes
- Benchmarks - to make clear what learners need to know and be able to do to progress through the levels, and to support consistency in teachers' and other practitioners' professional judgements
- Food for Thought resources - a suite of resources designed to allow practitioners to plan for progression through the levels of broad general education, to inform next steps, challenge, breadth and application in a Scottish food context
- Food and Health Skills Support Resource - provides support materials that can be used to plan learning and teaching approaches in Food and Health and Food Technologies
- Food Science Videos - demonstrate the real life application of food science to industry with people discussing how food science is used every day in their job.
- Food Education - Food skills for broad general education - a resource to help build practitioners’ confidence in delivering practical food education.
- STEM - Food Security 2nd level - learning journeys
- Good Food Learning resource - information and practical activities to improve learning and teaching around food production and sustainability
- French e-book 1st level - Food
- DYW - Career pathways in food and drink
- DYW - Careers in the rural industry in Scotland
- DYW - What Could I Be?
- Ag ionnsachadh mu Alba Cùis Smaoineachaidh / Learning about Scotland Food for Thought
- Food for Thought Interesting Practice Exemplars
- Food for Thought projects at Dunblane Primary School and Todholm Primary School
- Food Education: Food for Thought interesting practice exemplar - Garnetbank Primary School
- Food Education: Food for Thought interesting practice exemplar - Kilmacolm Primary School
- Food Education: Food for Thought interesting practice exemplar - John Ogilvie High School
- Food Education: Food for Thought interesting practice exemplar - Anderston Primary School
- BEBL interesting practice exemplars - a range of projects exemplifying how education and catering can work together to improve food education and the school food experience
- Food education - Better Eating, Better Learning - The school lunch experience
- Abbotswell Primary school - Food Education: Better Eating Better Learning: Transforming school snacks
- St Eunan's Primary School - Learning for Sustainability - using food as a context
- Busby Primary School - Food Technology skills
- Pilrig Park School - Growing Enterprise
Interventions for Equity
- Using food as a context to raise attainment and close the inequity gap
- Edinburgh City CLD - Lighthouse Keepers Lunch Family project
- Cost of The School Day - Poverty Action Group
- Through the learning experiences and opportunities I create, how am I helping young people develop skills which prepare them for their future career pathways and the world of work?
- How can we work effectively with parents, employers and our wider community in order to enhance and develop food and health education?