Explore this resource
How to use this learning and assessment resource to improve practice?
- Does your establishment have a food education policy? How would you create or review the policy in relation to guidance within the 'Good Food Skills' document below?
- How could you use these video clips to demonstrate progressive practical cookery skills from early to second level and identify gaps in current practice?
- Will your current equipment provide for the delivery of practical cookery?
- Where space is limited, how might your accommodation be adapted to make practical cookery more accessible for all learners?
- How do you moderate and evaluate progression of food technology skills? How could you use the resource along with the Benchmarks to help you?
Link to resource
Good Food Skills professional learning resource - Glow login required
Good Food Skills: Early level - Spreading
This clip demonstrates how learners at early level can use dexterity to spread a soft food such as spreading cheese or butter.
Good Food Skills: Early level - Tearing
This clip demonstrates how learners at early level can use their fingers to tear soft foods such as mozzarella and herbs.
Good Food Skills: First level - Kneading and Shaping
This clip demonstrates how learners at first level can manipulate a dough mixture.
Good Food Skills: First level - Bridge and Claw
This clip demonstrates how learners at first level can cut and chop foods safely, progressing from soft foods such as bananas or strawberries to harder foods at second level such as peppers.
Good Food Skills: Second level – Coring
This clip demonstrates the safe coring of foods such as apples using a melon baller.
Good Food Skills: Second level – Shaping Meat Mixtures
This clip demonstrates how learners at second level can work safely with meat mixtures to make food such as healthy meatballs and burgers.
Keeping Safe and Hygienic: Cross Contamination
This clip demonstrates safe and hygienic methods to ensure no cross contamination when using meat mixtures.
Keeping Safe and Hygienic: Two Stage Clean
This clip demonstrates safe and hygienic methods to ensure surfaces are kept clean when using food products.