Explore this exemplar
- to provide a more challenging and worthwhile learning experience at Higher
- to raise attainment and achievement at all levels and for each individual young person
- to improve the quality of learning and teaching and learners’ experiences offered within the senior phase
What was done
The Senior Phase curriculum was structured into 3 pathways.:
- Two-year Higher pathway
- Core pathway
- Employability pathway
Partnership working was essential to deliver a full senior phase curriculum by:
- providing the range of learning opportunities and courses to meet the needs of all learners
- delivering the aspirations of the employability pathway
- delivering additional programmes to ensure all our young people developed employability skills; and
- providing leadership opportunities for young people within personal achievement.
Colleges, higher education establishments, parents and business partners were all involved in coordinating the new range of opportunities.
What was the impact?
The new Curriculum for Excellence senior phase structure delivered improvements in attainment, measured in terms of breadth and depth, and continued improvements in sustained leaver destinations.