Can't view this video? You can also view this clip on Glow (log-in required).
Explore the resource
Planning for learning and teaching
The National Numeracy and Mathematics Progression Framework is arranged by the Curriculum for Excellence organisers.
- estimation and rounding;
- data and analysis;
- decimal fractions and percentages;
- ideas of chance and uncertainty;
- number and number processes
- the progression milestones in the numeracy and mathematics organisers
- key milestones and building blocks in numeracy and mathematics;
- exemplification of building blocks in number and number processes;
- previous knowledge required from other organisers;
- and connections between the organisers
Activities to support learning and teaching
A professional learning activity has been designed to promote dialogue about progression in numeracy and mathematics. It includes a set of sort cards for all key milestones and building blocks for each of the numeracy and mathematics organisers.
Working in groups, practitioners can discuss and decide on the order of the milestone cards for the progression pathway, reflecting on current classroom practice. They can then organise the building block cards to show which of the milestones they refer to.
The professional dialogue generated by the activity will support understanding of standards and progression.
PDF file: Instructions - Supporting professional dialogue on progression (15 KB)
Zip file: Numeracy Milestone and Building Block Sort Cards (473 KB)
Zip file: Mathematics Milestone and Building Block Sort Cards (382 KB)
Full resource and instructions - Supporting professional dialogue on progression - Zip file (875 KB)
About the author(s)
This resource was created within Education Scotland’s Numeracy team in conjunction with Scottish Government.