Your child may be experiencing a change such as the death of someone close, family separation, divorce, or natural disaster. Such changes are a normal and valuable part of life and growing up. Your child can receive support from staff at this time, which may last for only a short time or could be for a longer period, depending on your child and the situation.
How can I help?
- Reassure them that they are loved.
- Make sure they know where you are and when you are coming back.
- Let them know who they can talk to and have a cuddle with.
- Encourage them to talk about their thoughts and feelings.
- Keep to familiar routines as much as possible.
- Involve them, where appropriate, in decisions and plans.
Where can I find further advice?
- Seasons for Growth (the Notre Dame Centre) - Seasons for Growth is a programme for children, young people or adults who have experienced significant change or loss.
- Child Bereavement UK - supports families when a baby or child of any age dies or is dying, or when a child is facing bereavement.
Child Bereavement UK has published a number of downloadable help sheets, including this one for parents: