Divided City secondary pack: An anti-sectarian resource
Explore this resource
How to use this learning and assessment resource to improve practice
This resource refers to Theresa Breslin’s novel Divided City (ISBN 978-0-552-55188-5) as a key resource and also Martin Travers’ adaptation for the stage, published by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama 2013 (ISBN 978-1-4081-8157-7). There are two scenes from the play included in this resource pack.
The resource involves two workshops of 60-90 minutes. It is most likely to be delivered within PSHE but delivers a variety of experiences and outcomes at third level within Curriculum for Excellence.
The resource can be used without the novel or play being studied but would be enhanced if it was approached as an inter-disciplinary topic. There are strong curricular links to literacy, drama, RME, history and modern studies.
Key questions and activities are described to guide teachers. Background information is provided for staff who are unfamiliar with aspects of the topic. The activities and discussions explore the following questions:
- What is sectarianism?
- How do we see evidence of sectarianism in our community?
- How does sectarianism impact on individuals and society?
- What actions can I take to deal with sectarianism?
Using this resource will offer learners the opportunity to explore sectarianism, its history, its impact and their own personal response.
Practitioners have found this to be an engaging and interactive resource which produces a stimulating learning environment. It has a proven track record of successful engagement in several local authority areas.
- How does this work link with the range of protected characteristics that are defined by the Equality Act (2010)?
- To what extent do our learners understand the concept of sectarianism?
- Do we offer our learners the opportunity to explore their own life experiences in relation to sectarianism?
- How far as a school community do we challenge bigotry, prejudice and discrimination towards members, or presumed members, of a religious denomination?