Scotland Learns - Practitioners newsletter
We will publish a newsletter for practitioners with suggestions for learning activities for literacy and English, numeracy and mathematics, health and wellbeing and contexts for learning that will focus on other areas of the curriculum as well as Gaelic Medium Education. These are intended to complement the work you are already carrying out in school, establishments and local authorities and should be linked to class learning where appropriate.
We will also be sharing news, resources and helpful links as well as information to help you support parents and carers, and ideas from sharing practice from across Scotland. You can access learning activities at Scotland Learns.
Education Scotland support during COVID-19
The online offer from Education Scotland supports practitioners in four key areas:
- Health and wellbeing
- Learning, teaching and assessment
- Learning at home
- Remote leadership of learning and teams
More resources will be added as we continue to consult with practitioners and identify needs.
Health and wellbeing
Learning, teaching and assessment
Find advice, guidance and considerations for practitioners - Learning and Teaching Online.
Where are the learning opportunities during COVID-19 for learning across the four contexts? Ideas and suggestions can be found on the Refreshed Curriculum for Excellence Narrative resources page.
Resources to support online learning are also available for the following areas:
- Numeracy and mathematics
- Literacy and English
- Health and wellbeing
- Social studies
- Expressive arts
- Gaelic education
- Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies
- Early Learning and Childcare
- Developing the Young Workforce
- Community Learning and Development
- Family learning
- Learning at home
- Outdoor learning and learning for sustainability
- Cyber Resilience and Internet Safety (CRIS)
Live Digital Skills Webinars
Webinars to support learning at home
Local authority remote learning hubs
Some local authorities are making resources available through their remote learning hubs:
Professional Learning and Leadership
You will also find useful blog posts and Professional Learning Activities on the Professional Learning and Leadership website:
- Distance Learning - Tips on navigating this strange, new ‘normal’
- Teaching from far, far away - Barry Whelan, a secondary maths teacher, shares some ideas on teaching online
- Professional Learning and Leadership online resource - Activities are designed to provide relevant and appropriate learning across a broad range of themes, as well as stimulate reflection on your professional practice with an emphasis on the positive impact of the learning on children, young people and adult learners.
- Professional Learning and Leadership programme Frequently Asked Questions - Information for those currently engaged in Education Scotland leadership programmes, prospective programme applicants and those seeking Education Scotland endorsement.
- Microsoft Teams for teaching and learning - Andrew Bailey, a teacher of Physics/Science, and his school use of teams for distance learning
Learning at home
Guidance and support for parents and carers on learning at home is available on the Parentzone Scotland website:
- Be at the heart of your child's learning during COVID-19
- Support for parents and families who use British Sign Language (BSL)
- Supporting children with additional support needs
Remote leadership of learning and teams
Guidance and support for school and system leaders:
- Guidance related to COVID-19 (4 September 2020) - COVID-19 guidance from various sources collated into one document so it is easier to find the information you need. This document will be updated regularly.
- Remote learning glossary - A helpful glossary of terms to clarify the language that should be used by school and system leaders when discussing remote learning.
- Global responses to education recovery during COVID-19 - Articles and blog posts detailing the response and experiences of international education leaders to school closures.
- ES Big Blethers - Sign up to one of our virtual meets where different groups of educators can connect online to discuss issues they are working through and, where relevant, to share resources or to highlight interesting practice. You can also tell us what you want to ‘blether’ about, If you would like to see a virtual meet organised on a specific topic please let us know here
- School and System Leader Blogs - Read about the experiences and responses of Scottish school and system leaders to Covid-19.