Word file: Ellon Academy (56 KB)
Explore this exemplar
What was done?
Leaners were given the opportunity to participate in internship-style work placements one day a week from August to Easter and were able to select from a wide range of sectors including journalism, education, hospitality, performing arts, event management child care. Supplementary lessons in school allowed participants to reflect on their learning experience, enhance newly developed skills and at the same time gain a National Progression Award in Enterprise and Employability at level 4 or 5.
What was the impact?
Benefits to the young people:
- Provides experience of recruitment and selection procedures
- Provides a valuable insight into work practices and cultures with a view to supporting future career choices
- Experience - not just of their chosen career area but everything else that goes along with a working life – travel, deadlines, working as a team, the impact of having a day off etc
- Opportunity to develop key knowledge, skills and behaviours required in learning, life and work
- Increased awareness about the variety of professions that exist across the organisation.
- NPA Level 4/5 in 'Enterprise and Employability'
- Preparing young people for transition into successful employment
- Young people get their face/name 'known'.
Benefits for the employer:
- Opportunity to engage with future workforce
- Enhances reputation as a good employer
- Provides leadership/mentoring development opportunities for staff
- Work in partnership with the school
- Gain access to fresh ideas/perspectives through the original thinking of young people
- Corporate social responsibility
- Extremely rewarding.