Centres of excellence
Do you have a talented child? They may benefit from attending one of Scotland's six national centres of excellence – schools which allow gifted children to maximise their potential.
The following centres are located within comprehensive schools from which students gain a broad general education whilst receiving additional time for specialist study:
- Douglas Academy Music School at Douglas Academy, East Dunbartonshire
- City of Edinburgh Music School at Broughton High School, Edinburgh
- Aberdeen City Music School at Dyce Academy, Aberdeen
- Sgoil Chiùil na Gàidhealtachd (National Centre of Excellence in Traditional Music) at Plockton High School, Highlands
- The Glasgow School of Sport at Bellahouston Academy, Glasgow
- The Dance school of Scotland at Knightswood Secondary School, Glasgow
To find out more, contact your local authority.
Highly able pupils - Advice on supporting your gifted or talented child.
St Mary's Music School, Edinburgh - St Mary's Music School is Scotland's independent specialist music school and the choir school of St Mary's Cathedral, offering music and academic education to young musicians, aged 9-19.