DYW – Interesting Practice: Skills development through STEM - Dalziel High School
How to use this exemplar to improve practice
You are invited to use this exemplar to reflect on the following questions:
- How effectively do you plan for career education opportunities and progression pathways for learners from 3 - 18?
- In what ways do you ensure that you meet the needs of all learners to develop skills for learning, life and work?
- In what ways does the curriculum provision and timetabling in your establishment incorporate career education for all learners?
- To what extend are partners involved in delivering meaningful, work related experiences for learners, the delivery of skills and qualifications as well as prospective career opportunities?
Explore this exemplar
What was done?
Learners at Dalziel High School have the opportunity to get involved in a wide variety of STEM-related learning initiatives including STEM fayres, challenges and competitions. Opportunities to participate in the Space School and to undertake a Foundation Apprenticeship are also available to learners.
The strong STEM programme that is currently in place has allowed pupils to develop key skills and access different paths, vocational and academic into STEM courses and careers.
What was the impact?
Key performance indicators for the education/business partnership with Amec Foster Wheeler were:
- to empower pupils and develop key skills for work – literacy, numeracy, ICT, leadership, working with others etc
- to increase the numbers of pupils to study STEM subjects (S3 – S6), raising profile of Engineering and Science
- to increase opportunity for vocational education
- to lead pupils into college pathways such as HNC/HND/Apprenticeships
- to increase the numbers of university / college applications for STEM subjects
- to build a mentor programme with Amec Foster Wheeler
- to bridge the gender gap and encourage more girls into STEM subjects and careers
Key performance indicators for the education/business partnership with Morgan Stanley are currently being discussed.
Watch a YouTube video giving learner perspectives about the Foundation Apprenticeship and scholarship opportunities in the senior phase.