Scottish Attainment Challenge: Live Narrative Project
This resource takes a ‘Live Narrative’ Approach. This approach has three principles:
- Communication: There will be regular communications about the Live Narrative Project schools.
- Collaboration: There will be opportunities provided for practitioners and school leaders to interact with the Live Narrative schools.
- Review: These Live Narrative Exemplars will be reviewed and regularly updated providing updates on the school’s developing engagement with the Scottish Attainment Challenge.
How to use this exemplar
Each exemplar can be used to support professional dialogue within and between establishments around their own Scottish Attainment Challenge interventions.
- What data was gathered prior to beginning our Scottish Attainment Challenge intervention?
- How did this data inform our choice of intervention?
- What subsequent data are we gathering to measure the effectiveness of our intervention?
- What is our key focus in relation to the Scottish Attainment Challenge?
- How might we engage with these Live Narrative exemplars to challenge and influence our own on-going practice?
Explore this exemplar
What was done?
Four schools will be followed throughout the period of Pupil Equity Funding. The developing story of how each school works to close the poverty-related attainment gap and raise attainment will be described. There will be opportunities for others to engage with the schools - in relation to their own Scottish Attainment Challenge interventions.
Why was it done?
Headteacher Focus Groups run by Education Scotland indicated a desire to have case studies provided which were interactive and collaborative and which were regularly refreshed. Headteachers expressed a wish to be able to ‘follow the story’ of individual schools and their engagement with the Scottish Attainment Challenge.
What was the impact?
Four separate projects will be followed as part of the Live Narrative Approach. Each shows early promise of impact on raising attainment across a range of interventions.
Warout Primary School
See 5 videos on YouTube playlist (see small menu at top right of video).
Lundavra Primary School
See 3 videos on YouTube playlist (see small menu at top right of video).
Mosspark Primary School
Warout Primary School, Fife
Extending and enhancing vocabulary understanding and usage in oral and written responses. Partnership working with NHS Fife Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) Services.
- PDF file: Warout Interactive presentation (519 KB)
- PDF file: Warout A3 Live narrative poster (559 KB)
Lundavra Primary School, Highland
Establishment of an in-school Children's Services Worker working with children and families to enhance provision across a range of interventions.
- PDF file: Lundavra Interactive presentation (537 KB)
- PDF file: Lundavra A3 Live narrative poster (562 KB)
Mosspark Primary School, Glasgow City
Using digital learning to raise whole school attainment in numeracy with a specific focus on Scottish index of multiple deprivation (SIMD) 1 and 2 learners.
- PDF file: Mosspark Interactive presentation (514 KB)
- PDF file: Mosspark A3 Live narrative poster (477 KB)
E-Sgoil, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
E-Sgoil virtual learning approach to overcome barriers to learning across a range of local authorities and aspects of pedagogy.
- PDF file: e-Sgoil Interactive presentation (397 KB)
- PDF file: e-Sgoil A3 Live narrative poster (519 KB)
- PDF file: e-Sgoil Interactive presentation (Gaelic version) (357 KB)
- PDF file: e-Sgoil A3 Live narrative poster (Gaelic version) (522 KB)
Park Primary, Dumfries and Galloway
Raising attainment through individualised approaches with learners focused on aspects of readiness to learn and language development.