Sharing inspection evidence on Gaelic Medium Education – early learning and childcare total immersion
This resource has the following objectives:
- share how curriculum makers base their practice on high-quality total immersion in the playroom and outdoors as integral to the free 1140 hours.
- exemplify leadership of change over time with effective management of staffing, resources and professional learning to meet local and national priorities.
- exemplify how children and parents are supported in 0-5 recovery education to renew, refresh and reimagine.
- acknowledge how the system collaborated to support Gaelic Education during remote learning and encourage building back stronger from the pandemic
- What features of effective practice resonate with you in this film? How can these impact on your curriculum?
- How well are you using the 1140 hours in early learning and childcare to reduce the attainment gap, promote equity and impact on children’s fluency in Gaelic?
- What actions are you taking to ensure learning, teaching and immersion play is consistently high quality, both indoors and outdoors?
- How do you embed effective and regular interactions in Gaelic as part of child-initiated, adult-initiated and adult-directed experiences that result in children being fluent in Gaelic?
- In what ways and how well is the development of social language being supported to ensure that children can begin to speak Gaelic for real and purposeful reasons?
- How does your curriculum promote a curiosity for Gaelic’s distinctive culture?
- What approaches do you use well to check children are progressing in their learning? How well are you tracking that children are receiving total immersion in Gaelic?
- What are the key features of effective 0-5 transition within Gaelic Medium Education?
- How well are you supporting and developing parental engagement and family learning? How are parents/carers encouraged and informed so they can effectively support language used at home?
- How are you supporting practitioners to have a sound understanding of total immersion? How well are they able to apply this understanding successfully as new publications for English medium are published? For example, “Realising the Ambition”.
- How well does your secondary curriculum support positive post-school destinations and careers in early learning and childcare in Gaelic Medium Education?
- What are children’s views on how their experiences at sgoil araich can be improved?