Dalgety Bay Primary School developed a strategic plan to support staff to create a planned approach across all stages for children to develop their interests, strengths, skills and aspirations through experiences as part of the curriculum and life beyond the school. The plan had a clear purpose to support learners to aspire to a positive destination in the future, identifying their own skill set in relation to aspects of work.
Staff have used Learning Resource 1: Introduction to the Career Education Standard in order to embed the entitlements into the learning and teaching across the school.
This approach has become a cluster model and has been recognised by and shared across Fife Council.
The school’s vision of realising their ambitions to provide all children with opportunities to connect learning with the world of work include the following actions:
- Teachers will provide creative opportunities to develop the skills for life in meaningful and relevant contexts within their class.
- All teacher will deliver 4D learning intentions, consistently linking each lesson to career education.
- Our weekly assemblies will regularly include information on specific careers, making children aware of the range of employment opportunities on offer.
- Children from P5 onwards will have access to the ‘My World of Work’ website where they will have the opportunity to explore different career options focusing on skills and qualifications.
- Classroom displays and planning will include links to Career Education throughout the school.
- We will continue to engage with local business partners and beyond to develop contacts and create a database of professionals prepared to support the school in developing Career Education within school.
- We will be planning and organising a Career Education Day.