How to use this exemplar to improve practice?
You are invited to use the following resources to open up discussion about developing practical cookery in your own establishment.
- The school’s application for Food for Thought Funding.
- The Evaluation which was written at the six month stage.
- A short film featuring the learners and teacher demonstrating a practical cookery lesson.
- The Food and Health Progression planners which the school created for their own use
- An overview by the Headteacher of the work the school has done to date and strategic plans for the next five years.
Explore this exemplar
Can't view this video? You can alsoview this clip on Glow (log-in required).
Can't view this video? You can also view this clip on Glow (log-in required).
What was done?
The school was able to use part of their lunch room as a cooking classroom and resourced it with five portable cookers and a range of equipment, including knives, boards, bowls and scales. These included:
- safety skills including use of knives
- harvesting, cooking and serving food
- following recipes including counting and measuring
- creating links and working with local chefs
The school organised activities that allowed children across all stages to enhance their skills for cooking and baking.
The school also made links with the local community to help them develop an outdoor growing area. In time, they plan to use their own produce in the school kitchen.
This is a long term project linking to the Food for Thought Fund, which provided the opportunity to transform the food and health curriculum within the school.
This was a very successful project which has resulted in every learner in the school using the cooking classroom to develop their skills. The funding itself was used for the cooking equipment however the school was also able to harness community support in helping them to create some raised beds and install a poly tunnel.
In making sure the learners are gaining hands on experience of sowing, growing, harvesting, cooking and eating food this project has inspired them to appreciate and create fresh healthy food.