Endorsement of professional learning programmes
A programme which has been endorsed by Education Scotland demonstrates that it is informed by the national model of professional learning and links effectively to the relevant professional standards and current policy context.
Endorsement provides those who commission programmes, as well as those engaging in professional learning, assurance that programmes offer relevant, significant and sustained quality learning. Such experiences develop depth of professional learning, knowledge, skills and understanding which ultimately impacts on the quality of learning.
Endorsed programmes have successfully passed through a robust set of criteria. This resource will increasingly become the focus for schools, local authorities and regional improvement collaboratives when planning and preparing their professional learning and development opportunities.
Endorsement normally lasts for a period of five years, comes at no cost to the learning provider, and is open for application throughout the year. Applications from a range of learning providers are welcomed.
There are four endorsement pathways as follows:
- Standard Pathway for programmes that are new to endorsement
- GTCS Professional Recognition Pathway for programmes that have been awarded professional recognition within the last 3 years.
- Education Scotland Funded Programme Pathway for eligible programmes that are funded by Education Scotland.
- Re-endorsement Pathway for programmes that are approaching the end of Education Scotland endorsement.
There is a common application form for all pathways. Learning providers are required to indicate within their application which pathway they are choosing.
Benefits of endorsement
Endorsement offers an integrated support package to promote the programme which includes:
- the endorsed programme quality mark
- promotion of the programme through our communication channels
- inclusion within our online resource
How to apply for endorsement
There are three stages to the endorsement process:
- Complete the endorsement application form (PDF) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application will be reviewed by our Lead Specialists as part of the quality assurance process.
- You will be invited to attend an endorsement panel to present your programme.
Programmes with GTCS Professional Recognition or those funded by Education Scotland may not be required to attend an endorsement panel.
The panel dates for 2024 are:
- Friday 23rd February 9am – 11am
- Monday 25th March 10am – 12pm
- Friday 26th April 9am – 11am
- Tuesday 28th May 9am – 11am
- Monday 24th June 10am – 12pm
Advice and guidance
- some guidance for learning providers (PDF) applying for programme endorsement
- answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about applying for endorsement
You may request additional advice on applying for endorsement at any stage of the application process. A lead specialist will be assigned to support you.
Lead specialists can help with:
- consideration of Education Scotland and national policy
- exploring the national model of professional learning in relation to endorsement and your programme
- understanding the principles governing the endorsement processes
- building clarity on endorsement application and panel processes
- providing support workshops within regional improvement collaboratives
Learning providers are invited to speak with one of our Lead Specialists by appointment. We are able to provide support through the process, as well as help with application writing and programme design.
To check availability and arrange a free support session, email email@example.com.
Within Education Scotland, the Professional Learning and Leadership Directorate has the strategic responsibility of providing quality assurance processes for the range of professional learning and leadership development opportunities in Scotland.
Programmes will be sampled at least once within the five-year period. This periodic review may involve Education Scotland requesting evaluation data, other programme information from the provider or feedback meetings with or reports from the delivery team and participants.