Explore this resource
Sketchnotes provide a visual description of the practice and approaches which HM Inspectors have observed during scrutiny activities and are worth sharing more widely. Education Scotland is using sketchnotes in a number of ways, to share highly effective practice and to provide inspection highlights.
Sharing highly effective practice
Where there is a story to tell about improvements in a setting and colleagues may benefit from further background information, links to the Inspection Report, Summarised Inspection Findings and additional materials including reflective questions are provided on the National Improvement Hub. These sketchnotes are listed below.
- Sketchnote - Review Social Services (Children and Young People) Modern Apprenticeships – January 2020
- Sketchnote - Castlemilk High School - Castlemilk High School – Opportunities for learning and achievement – November 2019
- Sketchnote – West Dunbartonshire / SDS – A Nurture Group Approach – November 2019
- Sketchnote - Inverclyde CLD - Highly Effective Family Learning - November 2019
- Sketchnote - Crossgates Primary School – increasing children’s participation - October 2019
- Sketchnote – Innerwick Primary School – Developing vision, values and aims – September 2019
- Sketchnote - New Deer Primary School - Digital learning - June 2019
- Sketchnote - St Matthew’s Academy - Skills for learning, life and work - June 2019
- Sketchnote - Highland CLD /Tarradale Primary School - Community partnership working - June 2019
- Sketchnote - Our Lady of the Missions - tracking of attainment and achievement - June 2019
- Sketchnote - St Catherine's Primary School - Skills for learning, life and work - June 2019
- Sketchnote - St David’s High School - Parental engagement - June 2019
- Sketchnote - Wellshot Primary School - Implementation of playful pedagogy - May 2019
- Sketchnote - East Fulton Primary School - Numeracy - May 2019
- Sketchnote - Kinross Primary School - Consistent standards and practice - May 2019
- Sketchnote - St Francis Xavier’s Primary School - Professional learning improving learning and teaching - May 2019
- Sketchnote - Amisfield Primary School - A focus on wellbeing - April 2019
- Sketchnote - Riccarton Early Childhood Centre - Using data to ensure progress - April 2019
- Sketchnote - Johnstonebridge Primary School - ethos and relationships - March 2019
- Sketchnote - Cairns Primary School - Leadership of learning - March 2019
- Sketchnote - Lochaline Primary School - Outstanding Learning and Teaching - March 2019
- Sketchnote - Green Acres Private Nursery - Transition processes at all stages - March 2019
- Sketchnote - East Renfrewshire / SDS - The use of the Data Hub to target and support young people - February 2019
- Sketchnote - Portmoak Primary School - Learning is better when children talk about their learning - September 2018
- Sketchnote - Cornton Nursery - Ownership of vision, aims and values - August 2018
Some sketchnotes have been designed to stand alone to highlight inspection findings where there is benefit in reading the report and sharing this more widely. These will be added below and will, in time, include examples from all sectors.
Considering highly effective practice and inspection highlights through the use of sketchnotes, is one approach to supporting improvement through, for example, sharing learning and practice; promoting professional dialogue. They can also be a helpful tool for professional learning.